пятница, 4 ноября 2011 г.

I can be one up on Haye, says Groves ahead of showdown with Smith

Showdown: George Groves (left) takes on Paul Smith
Showdown: George Groves (left) takes on Paul Smith


Aiming for the top: Groves hopes to outdo David Haye
Aiming for the top: Groves hopes to outdo David Haye
George Groves aims to show on Saturday night that he can win a world title quicker than former training partner David Haye.  
The unbeaten British super-middleweight champion makes his first defence against Liverpool’s Paul Smith at Wembley Arena after capturing the title from bitter rival James DeGale in May.  
Haye, 31, last month announced his retirement after winning world titles at heavyweight and cruiserweight, with the first coming in his 21st professional fight.  
But Londoner Groves, 23, is confident he can take on the world’s elite after only 13 professional fights. 
He said: ‘It’s possible I could win the world title before David did.
‘The world title chance could come as early as the back end of next year with the progress I’m making. But I love boxing and I’m not really worried about how long it will take me to get there. 
‘There has been talk of the winner of this going forward to fight for the WBO world title next year. If I can demonstrate what I can do against Paul Smith it will be a big step towards that. You’ll see boxing, trading and banging.’
Fighting on the same bill as Groves is Michael Katsidis, who insists Britain’s double world light-welterweight champion Amir Khan is avoiding a showdown with him. Katsidis meets Scotland’s Ricky Burns for the interim WBO lightweight crown seeking the victory that will propel him back into world title reckoning.
Topping the bill: Groves fights at Wembley Arena on Saturday night
Topping the bill: Groves fights at Wembley Arena on Saturday night
The brawling Australian believes Khan would be unable to live with his power. 
‘Amir’s had two opportunities to fight me but for him it’s all about the money,’ said Katsidis. ‘He wants to keep it all for himself and leave nothing for the opponent.
‘He’s shied away from me and I believe he’s just waiting for me to get old. He’ll have a long wait.’


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий